Rev up your Labor Day celebration with a bucketful of adventure. Whether you’re in the mood for outdoor adventures, relaxation, or creative pursuits, a world of possibilities awaits you. From camping at Lake Tahoe to movie marathons at home, let’s delve into things to do on Labor Day weekend.
When is Labor Day?
It’s observed on the first Monday of September each year. In 2023, it’ll be on September 4th. Labor Day celebrations involve taking a well-deserved break and enjoying a long weekend of fun or relaxing activities. Others get together with family and friends for BBQs, picnics, or some plain old outdoor fun. Since it’s one of the last chances to soak up the summer sun, you might see people hitting the beach or throwing backyard parties.
Parades are common in some communities, where people come together to honor the history of the labor movement. In addition to the festive aspect, many stores offer discounts and sales during this time.
So, whether you’re chilling out, hanging with your buddies, or just enjoying a bit of retail therapy, Labor Day’s got something for everyone. It’s like a big high-five to everyone in the hustle life.
Why Do We Celebrate Labor Day?
It’s a significant holiday about giving a big thumbs up to the hardworking folks who keep things ticking in our society. Think of it as a day to kick back and acknowledge the sweat and effort people put into their jobs.
Labor Day has its roots in the labor movement. Back then, workers were often subjected to long hours, poor working conditions, and not-so-great pay. People started speaking up and demanding better treatment. Over time, this movement improved working conditions and labor rights.
Fast forward to today, Labor Day serves as a reminder of that history. It’s a time to honor workers’ achievements and the progress made to ensure fair treatment and rights for workers. It’s a day off to appreciate the contributions of everyone who rolls up their sleeves and gets the job done.
Labor Day Weekend 2023 and Weed: 8 Relaxing Things to Do With Cannabis
As you gear up for the much-awaited break, discover relaxation and enjoyment with California’s most-loved cannabis brands as you dive into our list of Labor Day activities. Explore our take on things to do on Labor Day weekend 2023, and pick your favorite.
Grab a Book
Reading might be your perfect escape if you’re not up for big Labor Day plans and prefer a cozy day. Pick your favorite book, a cozy corner, and add a touch of premium cannabis flower to get lost in the book. It’s like adding a new dimension to the stories that unfold on the pages.
Our favorite picks:
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens: It’s a mystery novel with a touch of romance and beautiful descriptions of nature.
- The Official High Times Pot Smoker’s Handbook: Featuring 420 Things to Do When You’re Stoned” by David Bienenstock: This humorous and informative book mentions many entertaining activities and tidbits perfect for a laid-back day.
- Stoner Coffee Table Book by Steve Mockus: Filled with quirky illustrations, anecdotes, and stoner trivia, this book is a delightful way to explore the lighter side of cannabis culture.
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari: For those who enjoy exploring history and big ideas, this book offers a thought-provoking perspective on the evolution of our species.
Ganja Goddess Recco: Almora Farm Flower
Almora Farm creates exquisite buds with unique, woody, intriguing, comforting flavors and scents. As you roll a joint and take a puff, your body unwinds and lets go of physical tension, leaving you in a state of pure relaxation. At the same time, your mind floats into a serene, cerebral paradise, making it the ideal setting to lose yourself in the pages of your chosen book. And if you’re too lazy to roll one, pick an Almora Farm cartridge, and you’re good to go.
Go on a Camping Adventure
Embrace nature with a camping escape at some of the best Labor Day weekend getaways. Disconnect, unwind, and explore the outdoors for well-deserved peace and rejuvenation. Here are the places to go on Labor Day for camping:
- Yosemite National Park: Be awed by stunning granite cliffs, towering waterfalls, and giant sequoias in this iconic national park.
- Joshua Tree National Park: Camp in the otherworldly landscape of desert flora and unique rock formations. Joshua Tree offers mesmerizing stargazing opportunities and a serene desert vibe. This place is a popular and iconic spot we couldn’t not mention from Labor Day activities we love!
- Big Sur: Experience Big Sur’s dramatic coastline, redwood forests, and rugged terrain. Camping here means waking up to breathtaking ocean views and exploring beautiful hiking trails.
- Lake Tahoe: Set up camp near the crystal-clear waters of Lake Tahoe. Enjoy water activities, hikes, and a laid-back lakeside vibe surrounded by mountains.
Ganja Goddess Recco: ST IDES Fruity Shots Cannabis-Infused Beverages
These little gems combine fruity flavors with a generous kick of THC. The effects of the ST IDES THC shots typically start with a mild sense of relaxation that gradually envelops both body and mind. It’s like a burst of summer in a bottle; you might experience a heightened sense of peace while your spirit slows down and soaks up the moment.
Meditate Your Way to Zen
If you’re seeking laid-back Labor Day activities, why not prioritize your mental and spiritual well-being? Take moments to meditate, reflect, and find inner tranquility.
- Mindfulness Meditation: This one’s like a mental detox. You focus on the present moment, letting thoughts come and go. It’s fantastic for reducing stress, increasing self-awareness, and improving overall mental well-being.
- Mindful Living (Los Angeles): Here, workshops, classes, and gatherings foster a holistic approach to well-being, helping you integrate mindfulness into every facet of your life.
- The Mindfulness Center (San Francisco): Perfect for those who want to incorporate mindfulness into their daily lives.
- Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society (Los Angeles): Explore mindfulness meditation rooted in Buddhist traditions at Against the Stream, which fosters a mindful approach to life’s experiences.
- Guided Meditation: An experienced guide leads you through a calming mental journey. It’s excellent for relaxation, visualization, and exploring different mindscapes.
- Unplug Meditation (Los Angeles): From beginners to pros, they offer a range of guided sessions to suit your vibe.
- InsightLA (Los Angeles): Dive into mindfulness meditation with various classes and workshops.
- The Mindfulness Center (San Francisco): Perfect for those seeking to integrate mindfulness into their daily lives, The Mindfulness Center offers guided sessions that enhance presence and well-being.
- Transcendental Meditation: It involves repeating a mantra to reach a deep state of relaxation. It reduces anxiety, enhances creativity, and promotes inner peace. Ganja Goddess enjoys exploring spiritual activities that help make busy days less strenuous, so we had to include this place in our Labor Day ideas to try out!
- Transcendental Meditation Los Angeles Center: Experience the transformative power of Transcendental Meditation in the heart of LA. Receive personalized instruction and guidance to tap into deep relaxation and heightened awareness.
Ganja Goddess Recco: Kiva Confections Gummies and Chews
Kiva Confections will help you release lingering stress and take a deep, cleansing breath before immersing yourself in the gentle waves of tranquility. During meditation sessions, Kiva edibles will become your ally, guiding you toward peace and inner quiet.
Meditation is like a soothing balm for your mind, and these gummies are like a cushion for your thoughts. So, as you embrace the serenity of this Labor Day meditation, feel the soothing effects unfold, wrapping you in a cocoon of calmness.
Explore the Perks of Gardening
Gardening is like a dance between you and nature. It’s a chance to nurture and watch life bloom right before you. Whether you’re growing herbs, veggies, or flowers, the process of planting, tending, and reaping rewards is incredibly satisfying. Plus, spending time outdoors and connecting with nature is a soothing balm for the soul and has to be one of the best things to do on Labor Day.
Gardening Tips and Tricks
- Start small: If you’re new to gardening, begin with a few plants that are easy to care for, like herbs or succulents.
- Know your zone: Research your plant hardiness zone to understand what plants thrive best in your climate.
- Good soil matters: Invest in quality soil rich in nutrients, and your plants will thank you.
- Sun and water: Most plants love sunshine and need constant watering, but do not overdo it.
- Patience is key: Gardening is a journey. Keep going despite slow growth since plants have their timelines.
Ganja Goddess Recco: Wyld Edibles
Before you consider the next thing from our list of Labor Day ideas to explore, consider popping in a Wyld gummy. It’s like adding a little touch of fun to the process. These tasty treats combine the goodness of strawberries with CBD-rich experiences. Each package contains a beautiful balance of CBD and THC, making gummies a fantastic way to unwind or de-stress while tending to your plants.
So, as you immerse yourself in gardening, let the Wyld CBD and THC gummies be your companion. It’s like a little zen boost as you sow, water, and nurture your plants.
Get Your Hands Busy with Baking
Baking is it if you’re looking for some in-the-kitchen Labor Day ideas. Baking isn’t just about whipping delicious treats; it’s a fantastic blend of creativity and relaxation. From mixing ingredients to watching your creations rise in the oven, baking is a hands-on experience that’s both satisfying and therapeutic. Plus, the aroma of freshly baked goods wafting through your home? Pure magic!
How to Get Started With Baking
- Choose your recipe: Select a recipe that tickles your taste buds—cookies, brownies, or a cake, perhaps?
- Gather ingredients: Gather all the ingredients and tools you’ll need. Double-check your pantry and make a shopping list if necessary.
- Create your baking space: Clear your kitchen counter, prepare your utensils, and tie that apron with a flourish!
- Follow a quick recipe: Carefully follow the recipe instructions, measuring and mixing carefully. Don’t be afraid to get a little messy because that’s the fun part.
Ganja Goddess Recco: Kiva Confections Dark Chocolate
Let’s bake some dark chocolate chunk cookies this Labor Day 2023 with Kiva’s finest cannabis-infused chocolate. You’ll love the sound (and smell) of this soul-soothing activity from our Labor Day ideas list!
What You Need
- 1 Kiva chocolate of your choice
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
What To Do
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet mix until just combined. If desired, fold in the chopped nuts.
- Break dark chocolate such as this Kiva Confections CBD Espresso Dark Chocolate Bar. Break it into chunks and fold them into the cookie dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between each cookie.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy the cookies made by Kiva chocolate bar.
Embrace the Beauty of Hiking
Lace up your hiking boots and hit the trails if you’re looking for exciting things to do on Labor Day. Whether a nature enthusiast or a casual explorer, hiking offers a refreshing adventure amidst scenic beauty. Here’s what you can explore:
- Runyon Canyon, Los Angeles: This iconic trail offers panoramic views of the city and the Hollywood Sign, making it a popular spot for both locals and visitors looking for a dose of nature in the city.
- Griffith Park, Los Angeles: Explore the diverse trails of Griffith Park, including the path leading up to the Griffith Observatory, where you can enjoy stunning views of Los Angeles.
- Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Monterey: Wander through picturesque coastal trails and discover hidden coves and breathtaking ocean vistas in this nature reserve.
- Muir Woods National Monument, Marin County: Prepare to witness a magical redwood forest as you stroll along easy to moderate trails, surrounded by towering ancient trees.
Ganja Goddess Recco: ST IDES High Tea Cannabis Beverages
These little powerhouses contain as much as 100mg of THC and feature ST IDES’s unique nanoemulsion technology for a rapid onset of effects. So, as you tackle the hiking trails on Labor Day, pick up a pack or two of ST IDES drinks. Once you reach your destination, relish the taste of these cannabis beverages as you catch your breath and take in your gorgeous surroundings.
Dabble in Art
Labor Day is the perfect opportunity to channel your creativity and explore exciting art projects. There are endless ways to let your creativity shine. Check out these unique DIY projects and enhance the experience with delectable weed edibles.
- Acrylic Pour Painting at Ventura: Unleash your creativity as acrylic paint gracefully blends and dances across canvases. Guided sessions empower you to create mesmerizing abstract works, with each participant crafting a series of 5″ x 5″ acrylic pour paintings on stretched canvas.
- Pottery at Clay by the Bay: Offering pottery-making classes for all skill levels, this studio provides a creative and nurturing environment to learn hand-building, wheel throwing, and glazing techniques. It’s a great way to get your hands dirty and put them to good use!
- String Art at ClassBento: Combine geometry and art by hammering nails into a wooden board and weaving colorful threads around them to create intricate designs. Not only is signing up for this art class therapeutic but an excellent way to exercise your creativity muscle.
- Be Crafty at Workshop SF: This creative hub curates several DIY workshops and classes. From printmaking and woodworking to mug making and leathercraft, Workshop SF provides a platform to create unique handmade projects. It’s the perfect place for artsy folks who enjoy getting creative in a space brimming with good vibes.
Ganja Goddess Recco: Wyld Gummies
Wyld’s delightful cannabis gummies combine the goodness of natural fruit with euphoric, energizing sativa experiences. They’re like a colorful palette for your imagination, enhancing your focus, boosting your creativity, and adding that extra spark to your artistic endeavors. Be it Wyld CBD gummies or Wyld sleep gummies, you’ll always end up with the best effects.
Get Down to Movie Night
Kick back and enjoy a movie marathon—the ultimate comfortable Labor Day activity. Grab your favorite snacks, get your dab rig and badder, settle into your favorite nook, and let the cinematic journey begin.
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle: Join Harold and Kumar on their hilarious adventure to satisfy their late-night cravings for White Castle burgers. It’s a comedy that’s even more entertaining with cannabis goodies.
- Pineapple Express: This action-comedy follows a process server and his dealer running from hitmen. It’s a perfect blend of humor, action, and a stoner vibe that’ll have you laughing.
- The Big Lebowski: Join “The Dude” in this cult classic as he gets tangled up in a case of mistaken identity, all while enjoying his favorite pastimes, like bowling and… well, you know.
- Half Baked: Brace yourselves for some ridiculous yet hilarious stoner humor with this comedy about three friends who embark on a mission to bail out their imprisoned buddy.
Ganja Goddess Recco: Almora Farm Concentrates
Almora Farm has an impressive line of concentrates with a terpene-rich profile to get your mood going. Enjoy the wave of creativity and focus that’ll keep you engaged during your movie marathon. The concentrates will leave you with a heady high that gradually envelops your body and soothes your senses.
Labor Day 2023 Weekend Reflections with Ganja Goddess
As the sun sets on this Labor Day, remember that the canvas of possibilities is always open. Whether basking in nature’s embrace, unleashing your creativity, or savoring leisure moments, these things to do on Labor Day have woven a tapestry of inspiration. Should you ever seek more avenues of inspiration, consider the Ganja Goddess as your ally. For more refreshing things to do on Labor Day, let curiosity be your guide, and may your next adventure be as rich as today’s. Until then, revel in the echoes of a day well spent.
FAQs About Things to Do on Labor Day Weekend 2023
Labor Day originated as a tribute to American workers’ contributions to society. It was first celebrated in 1882 and later became a federal holiday in 1894. Labor Day unofficially marks the end of summer in the United States. It’s a time for relaxation and transition as families enjoy a long weekend before the fall season begins.
Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated with parades, picnics, and various festivities. It’s an opportunity for communities to unite and honor the American workforce.
Labor Day is named to honor the labor movement and workers’ contributions. It’s a day to recognize their hard work and progress in improving workers’ rights and conditions.
Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday in September to create a bridge between summer and fall. Its timing allows families to enjoy a long weekend, often involving travel or vacations before the school year begins and the weather transitions.
To ensure a safe and pleasant cannabis experience on Labor Day:
1. Begin with a small dose, especially with edibles, and be patient for effects.
2. Keep water handy to combat dry mouth, especially during outdoor activities.
3. Opt for a cozy, secure spot to enjoy cannabis, whether traveling or relaxing.
4. If traveling, learn local cannabis laws to avoid legal issues.
5. Balance consumption for a positive experience while enjoying other activities.